Excel is a great way to document. Keep a timeline of progress, while developing good habits and maintaining a healthy schedule. I have always thought teachers should emphasize the importance of exercising or "playing." This is for all ages, and can be incorporated by having an activity to enhance their playing. Have students pledge to making sure they Play 60 minutes everyday. Have 5 or 10 minutes at the beginning of class every Friday to have play in the classroom, maybe a game like "silent ball" or if you have courtyard space than have organized games like tag and capture the flag. Anything is better than nothing, but if the class really gets in to it than it will be easy to come up with ideas for fun games. Unorganized play is key as well. Playing with them helps. Offer time for them to play, maybe ask if kids would like to play more at lunchtime or before school, and be a supervisor of the "play".
Here is the website that gave me the idea. I see the commercial for it on ESPN all the time and think it is a great idea for getting kids excited about playing and exercising!
http://www.nflrush.com/play60/
Have a chart in the classroom or through the computer on Excel to document their playtime.
I LOVE this idea! As a kid i was so focused on playing and it was honestly my main concern until i was probably in high school... and still is haha! I think it is an essential part of being a kid. I love the idea of getting students up and involved in the classroom and moving around because i believe we are often too stationary during school. Who says students learn best seated, feet on the floor and hands on the desk? I like your ideas and especially the idea of you playing with the kids. I had a teacher who played soccer with us every day at break and i loved that! One issue i have is including 60 minutes of play every day during school. That might be hard to do especially with the tight schedules teachers are experiencing these days.
ReplyDelete